NEP Australia introduces HD12
HD12 is the company’s second purpose-built 4K outside broadcast vehicle and the first
to launch from the active Victorian market.
It is equal in size, technical capabilities and work environment to HD11, which NEP
launched in August of last year.
HD11 and HD12 are unmatched by any other mobile production facilities in Australia.
They are equipped with Sony’s HDC4300 4K and high-speed camera technology,
bringing to 50 the number of these camera units in NEP’s fleet.
Initially based in Melbourne, HD12 will service productions around Australia including
major live sport and outside studio broadcasts.
NEP Australia President Soames Treffry says: “HD12 and HD11 reflect NEP’s
investment in the Australian market and determination to provide our clients with
unrivalled production capabilities.
“HD13 and HD14 will launch early next year, ready for the 2017 AFL and NRL seasons,
and further enhancing the NEP Australia fleet.”
NEP Australia Project Director Milan Milenkovic says: “While HD12 has all the
capabilities of HD11, our Systems Integration Team has made some additional
“HD12’s enhanced technical power, along with the Sony 4K high speed camera
systems, make HD12 a ‘best of’ proposition for both clients and broadcast operators.”
HD12’s capabilities demonstrate NEP’s commitment to powerful production:
• Along with sister truck HD11, HD12 is the largest OB unit in Australia:
maximum-length trailer with full-length double expanding sides, creating more
than 65m2 of interior space.
• Ultra-fast physical turnaround with one-touch deployment.
• 90kw of cooling designed for the extreme Australian climate.
• 34-seat capacity with generous egress and enhanced operator work spaces,
• 13 production gallery seats
• 9 EVS operators
• 7 CCU operators
• Seating for technical director and broadcast engineer
• 3 audio control positions
• Large egress areas plus standing room for a client lobby
• Adjustable mood lighting
• NEP’s trusted single centre rack design for technical areas to minimise cabling
and support workplace health and safety.
• Virtual studio manager (VSM) fully integrated with every truck system.
• New NEP-designed touch screen with completely configurable control panels.
• Imagine hybrid router with 502 inputs, 824 outputs and 22 multi-viewers.
• Up to 28 x Sony HDC4300 4K and high-speed cameras and 10 point-of-view
(POV) or specialty cameras.
• Up to 10, 12-channel EVS machines with 10Gbs networking.
• Sony’s MVS8000X vision switcher with second-generation control panel.
• Lawo Mc56 MK2 audio mixer with 64-fader panel featuring in PAT-supplied
• Riedel 192 x 192 communications system.
Sister trucks HD13 and HD14 are now in the coach build stage at Smiths in the UK.
Background on HD12
• Designed and developed by NEP Australia’s engineering team.
• Constructed at A Smith Great Bentley (ASGB), the UK’s leading coachbuilder.
• Arrived in Australia in late 2015 for technical fit-out, commissioning and testing.
About NEP Australia
NEP is Australia’s largest and most experienced outside broadcast and studio facilities
company, providing broadcast infrastructure for major sport and studio productions
across the country and internationally. NEP facilitates more than 2,000 hours of
Australian broadcast television each year, including live sport (NRL, AFL, Cricket),
popular series and drama (My Kitchen Rules, The Voice, Neighbours) and live
entertainment and event programs (Dancing with the Stars, The Footy Show and the
annual Logie awards). The company is also internationally recognised for its technical
expertise in host broadcasting and major events, managing complex projects including
the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, 2014 G20 Leaders’ Summit, and 2014
Glasgow Commonwealth Games. NEP Australia is wholly owned by NEP Group Inc
NEP provides the technology and know-how to enable clients to produce the worlds’ biggest
live and broadcast events around the globe. The company is the leading worldwide provider of outsourced production solutions offering technical services for remote production, studio production, video display, host broadcasting, post production, smart asset/media management, multi-screen delivery and end-to-end OTT solutions. NEP’s team of more than 2,000 employees is driven by passion and a focus on technical innovation, and together they have supported productions in over 65 countries on all seven continents. Headquartered in the United States, NEP has offices in Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Finland, Switzerland, Belgium, the United Arab Emirates, and Australia.