Two New JVC GY-HM800 Series Shoulder Mount Camcorders
Both the GY-HM850 and GY-HM890 models utilise a very nicely-weighted shoulder-mount form factor, with the GY-HM890 also designed for use as an HD studio camera or multi-camera field production camera. It has a multi-pin connection that accommodates JVC fibre or multi-core camera modules and is compatible with a full range of studio components, including customised studio sled, zoom and focus controls, CCUs and 8.4-inch LCD viewfinder, as well as box-style lenses from Canon and Fujinon.
The GY-HM890 also includes an HD/SD-SDI pool feed input that can record and stream video and audio from another camera or SDI source during press conferences or other pool feed environments. The cameras also support LANC remote controllers as well as JVC’s proprietary wired remote control system.
Both camcorders feature three, 1/3-inch 2.07 effective megapixel CMOS sensors, capturing full 1920x1080 images. The imagers provide 12-bit processing, F12 sensitivity (50Hz) and excellent signal-to-noise ratio to produce superior colour reproduction. The new Fujinon wide angle 20x zoom lens features auto focus, built-in optical image stabilisation and chromatic aberration correction. The interchangeable 1/3-inch bayonet lens also includes manual focus and iris rings.
“We believe the future is with the live video streaming and FTP service fully integrated into the camera, as demonstrated with the GY-HM850 and GY-HM890,” explained Gustav Emrich, European Product Manager, JVC Professional Products. “With the recent advancements in GSM availability and bandwidth, service providers can deliver reliable high-speed connections that can support HD streaming with a single modem. This technology is here now, and will continue to progress and improve.”
Continuing JVC’s commitment to native file workflows, the GY-HM850 and GY-HM890 record HD or SD footage as Final Cut Pro (.MOV), XDCAM EX (.MP4), AS-10 (.MXF), AVCHD (.MTS), or H.264 (.MOV) files for compatibility with most major NLE systems. Footage can be recorded using MPEG-2 or H.264 compression at a variety of bit rates, frame rates, and resolutions. Dual codecs offer simultaneous recording of a full HD file on one memory card and smaller, web friendly H.264 files on the other. Plus, a new H.264 Extreme High Quality (XHQ) recording mode, commonly used in HD SLRs, offers virtually lossless H.264 50 Mbps recording.
Dual SDHC/SDXC card slots allow simultaneous recording (for instant client copy/backup) or relay recording (for continuous shooting) to low cost, non-proprietary media. During simultaneous recording, one card can act as a continuous backup that overrides the pause function triggered by the operator. Relay recording allows virtually unlimited recording capability in the field.
The 800 Series cameras significantly expand on the live HD streaming and file transfer capabilities introduced in the popular GY-HM650 mobile news camera. JVC’s exclusive dual codec design allows the new cameras to transmit live HD footage or transfer files in the background while users continue to record footage in their normal workflow. When paired with a GSM modem or Wi-Fi adapter, which is connected directly to the camera via USB, the camera transmits footage to a facility in real time. JVC provides different stream protocols to maximize the streaming results: UDP, TCP, RTP/RTSP, ZIXI. The Advanced Streaming Technology (AST) feature provides content-aware error correction, bandwidth shaping, and real-time feedback of streaming status.
Each camera features a built-in processor with proprietary algorithms that maximize bandwidth to ensure reliable transmission even under difficult conditions. Plus, advanced content aware error correction compensates for up to 30 percent packet loss, supported by Zixi streaming solution and streaming protocol. Stream and signal status is provided in the high-resolution 4.3-inch LCD monitor and LCOS colour viewfinder.
The cameras provide secure FTP file transfer on location, as well as live monitoring and extensive camera and lens control via Wi-Fi from a smartphone (iPhone, Android), tablet (iPad, Android), PC or Mac. For broadcasters who use metadata, a built-in GPS allows location information to be recorded. Plus, metadata can be edited on a smartphone or tablet and transferred to the camera via Wi-Fi. The GY-HM850 and GY-HM890 are also compatible with Advanced Streaming Services, powered by Zixi, for reliable live content delivery.
Both models include genlock and time code terminals for multi-camera setups, HD/SD-SDI out, HDMI out, 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, and a four-channel audio system with stereo AUX inputs and two XLR mic/line inputs with phantom power. Other features include 12 assignable user buttons, 10-second Pre Rec (retro cache), focus assist, interval recording for time lapse footage and variable frame rate recording for over/under crank effects.
“The new GY-HM800 Series camcorders are the most feature-rich ProHD products we’ve ever produced. They truly provide professionals with the tools to be first on-air and first online,” according to Gustav Emrich. “With a GSM modem that you plug directly into the camera or a GSM Mobile Hotspot that you keep in your pocket, you can go live to the broadcast studio or the web. For both field or studio use, the GY-HM800 Series offers an outstanding combination of image quality, recording formats and network connectivity, allied with excellent camera ergonomics, which we believe is the most innovative line of professional camcorders available today.”
Both the GY-HM850 and GY-HM890 camcorders will be available in March.
· Up to 1080p high-quality recording mode using H.264/50 Mbps
· Multi-codec MOV/MP4/MXF/AVCHD associated with various selectable frame rates
· Web-friendly HD/SD formats
· Dual codecs for recording two formats (max.) simultaneously
· Compatible with affordable, widely-available SDHC or SDXC memory cards
· 2 card slots for dual recording, backup recording and seamless recording (uninterrupted capturing even if memory card has to be replaced)
· Live streaming & real recordings with physical data storage totally independently of each other
· File transfer (FTP), simultaneous transfer (recording and data transmission of an already existing file at the same time)
· Clip Cut (in-camera editing without losing original footage)
· Easy-to-use Web Remote Access featuring live monitoring & optics control and CCU controlling – via web browser (no specific apps required), works on nearly all established internet devices & computer platforms (iPad, iPhone, Android, PC, Mac etc.)
· Metadata editor
· Backup Recording, Dual Recording and Relay Recording
· 4ch Audio
· USB host for advanced network connectivity (optional adapter for Ethernet, Wi-Fi or mobile phone network access required)
· Pool Feed 1080i Recording as well as live streaming of pool feed signals possible (GY-HM890 only)
· Newly-developed Fujinon 20x zoom offering OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) and auto focus (Both camcorders are also available in a CHE version without lens)
· Colour Aberration Compensation for both camcorders (has to be supported by lens as well)
· Pre Rec Mode (10 sec) and Interval Rec
· Over Cranking / Under Cranking (variable frame rate for slow-motion effects and time-lapse recording)
· Gen Lock and TC Sync in/out
· High-definition 4.3“ LCD monitor
· High-resolution 0.45“ LCOS viewfinder
· Balanced weight distribution for effortless working