ALEXA Software Update Packet (SUP) 5.0 released
Following the Anamorphic Desqueeze license, High Speed mode is the second ALEXA software upgrade to be made available as a license. While SUP 5.0 - with its many other improvements - is a free update for ALEXA customers, the High Speed mode it enables is an entirely new feature and can only be activated through the purchase of a license key at the ALEXA License Shop. Each license key is coded to a particular camera and can be selectively enabled or disabled, allowing rental facilities control over which cameras are sent out with High Speed mode.
High Speed mode allows ALEXA cameras to capture slow motion images using Apple ProRes codecs (up to 422 HQ 16:9) and Sony 64 GB SxS PRO cards, eliminating the expense of carrying a separate high speed camera. By using the same Super 35 sensor area as Regular Speed mode, High Speed mode maintains the same depth of field and angle of view for all lenses, along with ALEXA's wide exposure latitude, high sensitivity, natural colorimetry and organic, film-like image quality.
Recording such high data rates requires the use of SONY's new SxS PRO 64 GB cards. These cards are built to the same tough reliability and environmental standards as the SxS PRO 32 GB cards, while offering twice the recording capacity and over twice the data rates. Even without the High Speed license, the SxS PRO 64 GB cards allow recording of ProRes 4444 at 60 fps (with SUP 5.0).
Other key features of ALEXA SUP 5.0
• 60 fps ARRIRAW over 3G Dual Link
• 60 fps HD-SDI 4:4:4 over 3G Dual Link
• 60 fps ProRes 4444 when using SxS PRO 64 GB cards
• Horizontal Image Mirroring (3D)
• ARRI Look Files for playback of QuickTime/ProRes Log C files
• Reel & clip number on MON OUT
• Secure camera display dimming
• Active look indication
• Dual record error handling
• Open Camera Access (OCA) initiative
• Support for Lens Data Display for Focus Puller (ALEXA Plus only)