A Total of 53 Percent of OB Vans Use the VSM Control System

The Control System Manufactured by L-S-B is Market Leader in the OB Van Sector

A total of 207 outside broadcast vans worldwide, mainly in Europe, but also from the USA, Africa, Australia and South America, are represented in the database at www.live-production.tv. More than half of TV and radio stations and OB van constructors rely on the comprehensive VSM control system manufactured by L-S-B Broadcast Technologies GmbH. The Virtual Studio Manager (VSM) achieves this technological lead with its open, non-proprietary architecture.

advertisement

On the basis of an IP network structure, the VSM allows all production and broadcast-related devices to be controlled and monitored using a freely configurable user interface. For the first time, the editorial department of the online portal www.live-production.tv has evaluated its extensive database and presented the market share of each manufacturer in 23 product groups. The VSM control system is used in 53 percent of the OB vans.

The advantages of a comprehensive control system such as the Virtual Studio Manager can be seen particularly in the area of mobile production. In OB vans in particular it is important to be able to react flexibly, simply and quickly to changing production requirements. The VSM philosophy makes this possible with a powerful and cost-effective universal control system that allows equipment from almost all of the manufacturers mentioned in the analysis to be used – one more reason why more than half of TV and radio stations and OB van constructors decide on the VSM.

advertisement

“207 HD OB Vans – An Overview of the Installed Hardware”

Which audio mixers, routers, cameras, intercom systems and video mixers are used in outside broadcast vans? The editorial staff of the online portal www.live-production.tv looked into this question and analysed the components installed in 207 OB vans. Only in a few of the 23 product groups was the market leadership as clear as in the case of control systems. With a 53 percent market share, the VSM control system, manufactured by L-S-B, is way ahead of its four competitors which share the remaining 47 percent of the market segment.

“The reason why the VSM is so strong in the OB van area is its flexibility and also the safety of the system with its redundant design,” L-S-B managing director Wilfried Luff explains. “Our main business area is mobile production, which is why we make every effort to keep up with the most recent trends and the latest requirements.” Further advantages of the control system which are particularly valuable in OB vans are the easy and fast configuration of the system and the option of designing panels for individual workflows. In addition, the VSM can store and reload complete production set-ups in order to save time during the installation process before production. The system-wide dynamic adaptation of labels and the fast and easy editing of panels also reduce precious set-up time. The VSM is highly cost-effective because it allows the most economic devices from a range of different manufacturers to be combined flexibly. Furthermore, the VSM provides a completely integrated tally and GPI control function which makes other control devices unnecessary and ensures that the VSM is the leading mobile control solution.

About L-S-B Broadcast Technologies GmbH

L-S-B Broadcast Technologies GmbH is the global leader in advanced mobile audio and video broadcast controls. The core product of the company, which is based in Bingen in Germany, is the Virtual Studio Manager (VSM), an IP-based overall control system. Since the VSM is able to control broadcast devices from any manufacturer, it provides a flexible and powerful one-stop solution that meets all broadcasting requirements. Together with the configuration software vsmStudio, the VSM makes a variety of hardware and software front-ends available for an unlimited number of users. This enables complete studios, master control rooms and mobile trucks to be equipped and managed with one single system.
Customers of L-S-B include the NDR, proSieben Sat. 1, Deutsche Telekom, T-Systems, N24, n-tv, and numerous other radio and TV stations all over the world. Founded in 2003, the mid-sized company has access to an ideally positioned global sales network. A staff of 20 people responsible for management, implementing projects, service, training, software and hardware development and production are employed at the company’s headquarters in Bingen in the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate. Additional training rooms and the company administration are situated at the new Training Centre in Wiesbaden.

advertisement

L-S-B Broadcast Technologies

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement